If your budget is tight, don’t worry, there are ways that you can get backlinks for free. Link building in the form of link purchase is still carried out intensively nowadays. And you can still buy backlinks but make sure you do it in the right way. Check this article for details
Below are the methods that you can get backlinks for free.
1. Write guest articles
The first and probably most popular free link source is the writing of guest articles. Build up your status and personality as an expert and get you talking to the industry.
Guest articles don’t cost anything except time. But investing this time makes more than sense. Not only, as just mentioned, to expand the expert status, but also to generate high-quality backlinks here. Guest articles rarely have a real advertising effect, since it is natural that you mention your own website in the end in your author profile. However, the trust factor is very high in most cases, because you are “from the subject” and have to have a clue. Even if it isn’t that pronounced at the beginning, it will change after a few releases.
But how do you find websites that offer guest article slots?
Very simple: Just enter your relevant keywords with the addition “guest article” on Google and you will find a lot of websites that will be very happy about high-quality content. However, websites that have not yet published any guest articles are also making exceptions here. Just try your luck!
You can also try another terms such as:
- Your relevant keywords + “write for us”
- Your relevant keywords + ” submit your post/ articles”
Get into conversation and write guest articles. So you not only get backlinks, but sooner or later you will also be perceived as an expert. So backlinks from other websites can be placed on your website.
2. Broken link replacing
Broken links are links to URLs that no longer exist, i.e. 404 pages. External links on 404 pages can have a negative impact on user behavior and indirectly show Google that you do not maintain your website properly or have it under control. And yet there are lots of websites that have countless broken links.
The goal of this link building strategy is to address the website operator to your broken links and to offer your suitable content.
How do you best do it?
- Create an extensive list with all domains from your subject area.
- Run these websites through an analysis program (e.g. Screaming Frog) and find all broken links on these websites.
- Prioritize the broken links that have the same 404 link target.
- If you do not yet have the content on your website, recreate it to a high quality. The topic relevance is decisive here.
- Search for other pages that link to the “lost” website.
- Many website operators will be happy if you draw their attention to the broken links. Of course, not everyone will link to you, but the success rate is not too bad here!
3. Write recaps
Another (not entirely free) link building strategy is to write recaps about conferences, trade fairs, etc. in your industry. Visit these events to consolidate your expert status. Get you and your website talking and report about the event afterwards.
Get in touch with other recap writers and offer your recap for linking (of course, you should have linked the other person’s recap on your page beforehand). Very few will say no.
- Generating backlinks with the help of recaps has several advantages. Of course, at the beginning you have to take a little money in your hand to attend the upcoming event. However, you not only get the know-how of the event or the opportunity to network, but you can also collect a few backlinks afterwards with a proper recap.
Unfortunately, forums are always on the decline. The big forums can still hold up well, but the small ones are dying out more and more. We as link builders are to a certain extent to blame for this. For years, forums whose admins are not on guard have been visited by link builders and littered with links. If this is the case, the forum loses credibility and honesty. Users no longer ask questions and do not want answers to fake questions. So: The forum becomes inactive.
Nevertheless, forums are still a good free link source and therefore also a good traffic source. However, in order to have maximum success here, there are some “rules” that you should follow.
- Forums are not yet completely extinct, but there are fewer and fewer forums that are really active. But also inactive forums still have a lot of traffic and are sometimes still very strong websites (from a technical and tool perspective). Investing some time here can really be worth it! But please: pay attention to the topic relevance!
5. Backlink from stolen pictures
Now there may be a somewhat unconventional way to get backlinks.
If you have high-quality images or graphics on your website, it is very annoying if other websites use your expensive content and you do not benefit from it.
It is therefore best to check at regular intervals whether someone is using your pictures or graphics without permission.
How do you best do that?
Take all the picture URLs of your website (the rights must of course belong to you) and put them in a list. Then go to Google Image Search ( https://images.google.com/ ) and enter the URLs. Alternatively, you can upload the file, but Google will save it for a maximum of seven days.
Google will now show you whether your images are already being used elsewhere. The good thing here is that the images are displayed even if they have been cropped or slightly revised.
If you have now discovered a malefactor, write to him that he will use your picture and, if he wants to continue using it on his website, you must indicate you as the source. Believe me, he’ll do that.
- Make sure that your high quality images are not used elsewhere. However, if one of your pictures is used, contact the website operator and remind him of the copyright. He will surely link you as a source!
Interviews are always interesting and fairly simply produced content. Contact personalities from your industry and interview them. Again, there is a big advantage for both sides. Your interview partner gets coverage and gets into conversation and you get high-quality content and certainly a backlink. 😉
A little tip: Before the interview, clarify whether your interview partner will also link the interview to their website.
By the way, interviews are also a very good way to get backlinks on Wikipedia.
Here’s how it works:
- Find a person who has their own Wikipedia profile or is in a crucial role in a company with a Wikipedia profile.
- Take a close look at the Wikipedia profile and ask the other person for news that is not yet noted in the Wikipedia profile.
- Change the Wikipedia profile and confirm your entry change with the interview.
If the news significantly improves the Wikipedia profile, the link will be 100% confirmed and will remain there for a very long time.
You see: With one tactic, maybe two strong backlinks are possible!